Pages

Friday 5 September 2014

Dunedin's hidden: Shivana Pemberton

Dunedin's hidden is my take on Dunedin's hidden treasures, so people that are massively talented/ inspiring who enough people don't know about!

This post is about Shivana Pemberton, a student and fashion Instagrammer who's all about "the glam life", her pictures so effortlessly transform Dunedin into blogger-esque NYC that I can't help but cringe at my own Instagram skills. Have a read through who she is, what she likes, and what she thinks about fashion.


-- Tell us a bit about yourself.
I'm at university, and study Law and Accounting. I'm in my fourth year this year. I'm working at a place called Tangos (it's a new shoe place on George Street). It's cool, I've been looking for a job for so long since I do have a bit of a shopping addiction. I enjoy Instagramming, that's my creative outlet. It's nice to have that in Dunedin when you're stuck at university all day with lectures and things like that. Other than that just, you know, hanging with friends and going to the movies and dinners.

-- What next after university?
I'm hoping to do more Law. I'm spending the summer in Wellington interning at Simpson Grierson. I'm going to see how this summer goes, and see how I like it since you know, you don't really know until you try. There's always a little part of me that wants to do something else, like fashion.


-- What do you love about fashion?
I just like it because it's such a unique way for people to express themselves. How people like to dress, and what they like sort of says stuff about who they are. I know that I use clothes to express that I like to stand out at times, or look a bit different. I love "the glam life", it's so diverse around different people and cultures. People think you're really materialistic when you like fashion, but it isn't like that, it's just like any other art form…there's an artist and they've gone out of their way for their passion and to create something they like.

-- Your top 5 current obsessions.
Senso shoes, Mac lipstick Diva, crop tops, shirts with the bottom buttons undone (my new Instagram post is going to be about that!), wearing bustiers over plain tee-shirts to casualize it.

-- Who takes your Instagram pictures?
My Instagram started with me taking most of the photos. But the ones that are blatantly not me, I get my boyfriend to take them haha. He's got quite an eye for it really haha, but I feel bad for always asking him to go to a certain place to take a certain picture.


-- How do you make Dunedin look like New York City? (no disrespect intended here, Dunedin is adorable but doesn't quite have that fashion blogger-esque charm that NYC seems to exude!)
I use VSCO cam and that's really helpful! I think making sure the backgrounds are really bright and always try to have plain backgrounds and more light on the outfits. And I try to avoid shadows, and direct sunlight. But I think the pairing of outfits and pieces is mainly what does it. It's definitely the filters and things like that as well.

-- What do you think of the current state of fashion? (in the sense of its motivation through social media, and do you think that has a real impact on trends)
I think it's made people more diverse, because even though social media does often dictate trends, the trends at the moment are so diverse that there is so much to mix around with. And I think it encourages people to wear what they want to wear- like art; even if its weird there is someone that it appeals to.

-- What after Instagram? Is there a blog on the horizon?
I would like there to be. I think that's definitely the next natural step, I need more time for that so maybe over summer.

-- Your favorite fashion bloggers?
Tuula, Angelica Blick from The Style Dept. (so progressive and so much flare!), bartabac, The Haute Pursuit (lots of white).

-- Describe your own style for us.
A mixture between casual-glam, clothes that people wouldn't always wear. Sleek and glam. Things that everyone can pull off, but using it in a unique way. Nifty patterns.


-- Ideal color palette.
I love white. Pastels, neutrals, hot pinks and bright reds just to add a pop of color but I usually achieve that through the lip. So more neutral clothes to go with it.

-- What's on your iPod right now? Or any music you're listening to on repeat?
Drake constantly. Beyonce she's my number one and Justin Timberlake's new album.

-- TV shows you're into right now.
House of Cards, Orphan black and The Mindy Project.

-- Which NZFW collections stood out for you?
Kate Sylvester

-- Your ideal style in four colors, shapes or items.
White wide legged high waisted structured pants like the ones by Veronica Maine, white heels (I'm probably going to screw up my knees, but that's laters problem), a peachy or pale blue crop and a pale grey long trench coat.


-- Favorite New Zealand labels.
Kate Sylvester, Miss Crabb I love the way she drapes, and Lonely Hearts lingerie.

-- Guilty pleasures.
The movie Clueless, The Lion King (watched them both over and over again). And Paasha the Turkish restaurant down the street from me, I will never say no to that place! And I love fruit, I can eat bags of grapes a day.

-- Any apps that you use to edit on Instagram (only if you don't mind telling)
I use VSCO cam. I love the filters F2 and HB1, they are my favorites for items in flat lays. And recently I've been using N1 and S3, those filters have more stand out colors for outfits.

-- Describe a typical day in your life.
It's really boring haha. I'll try to get up relatively early and go to the gym, then shower and then go to uni to lectures, and if I'm taking an Instagram shot that day I will do that in the afternoon, then post it. Then I go to the supermarket and pick up things for dinner, make my dinner, chill with my flatmates, watch some TV, try and do some study. And then sleep.

-- What would someone find you doing on a typical sunday afternoon?
I currently work 10-3 on sundays. But before that, it's my rest day, a day to collect myself and get myself ready for the next week. I tidy with my room, or a nice brunch and coffee. And maybe catching up with some movies.

-- Could you please send me a picture of your wardrobe.



All pictures taken from Shivana's Instagram.
Follow her for some visual inspiration at @shivananic
http://instagram.com/shivananic/

No comments:

Post a Comment